Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Love that liberates!

1 Corinthians 13:4-8a

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking; it is not easily angered, it keeps no records of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails..."

As I was pondering on this verse this morning, I realised how liberating God's love is! Often and not, things tire and wear me out when I fail to walk in love. Recap the times when I was consumed with envy, anger, and when I'm consumed with fighting for my rights, when I choose to dwell in the records of wrong and injustice done to me instead of the many blessings I had received... all these instances were suffocating.

"... but the greatest of these is love."
Love to the highest level liberates, sets us free... yet to love also means a certain giving up. To give up whatever it takes so that love can prevail. It might mean giving up the right to remain in hatred, giving up the right to self justification, giving up one's comfort level for another..etc
For my Lord Jesus, it meant giving up His life so that all might have hope again and get to experience His love and power that is able to set free.
To remain and be driven by jealousy, hatred and momentary securities might seem the easier way, yet, the trump card is for those who chooses the better way- the path of love, not just love in our human understanding.. but love that comes from God above, portrayed clearly through the life of His Son, our Lord jesus Christ. The love that liberates....

No comments: